A bunch of first-year students tried to make a top-down RPG with real-time combat in one semester. Yes, it went as bad as you think it would. With about three weeks left, the conclusion came to that this game wouldn’t work. The writers were on different pages, our one artist couldn’t produce all the art needed, the level designers felt like they had no say, and the programmers felt like they were stuck doing all the work. No one was happy. Therefore, we pivoted to a beat-them-up and I ended up being placed in charge (and also as the main character, as suggested by the lead designer). I was able to help steady the ship as we made a playable game centered around destroying our teachers. It was a hit with the students there.